AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tool sharpening (chisels & planes)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 2/25/2024 22:24 (#10640084 - in reply to #10640022)
Subject: RE: Tool sharpening (chisels & planes)

East of Broken Bow
Are you looking to get your chisel that sharp, or are you questioning if the extra sharpness is of benefit?

In the past I have done some sharpening of things, and have managed to get a few things breathtakingly sharp. However, some things being super-razor sharp doesn't mean they work better, or that it is better to have them that way.

I have gotten chisels that sharp before by sharpening them with a hollow grind. Can get a chisel, or even an axe sharp enough to shave with that way, but the edge becomes delicate, and in the case of the chisel, difficult to regulate the cutting depth. An edge that thin will also curl over much more easily as well.
I own two machetes I use regularly. One is sharpened normally for tough jobs, like chopping brush, branches, and small trees. The other has the 'sharpest' edge I can put on it. The 'sharp' one you can use for a razor when I'm done touching it up, and it will cut through grass or green cornstalks like butter compared to the other, but hit one dry oak limb with it, and the edge folds over. I suspect that those chisels may be the same way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)