AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fish hydrolysate experience?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

thinkstoomuch
Posted 2/11/2024 08:17 (#10618409 - in reply to #10617920)
Subject: RE: Fish hydrolysate experience?

Kettle Moraine, WI
Niese - 2/10/2024 20:12

Pretty much read my mind. How are you getting carbon into your conventional system?

And to help the O.P out yes I ran fish once. Yes it smells as bad as it sounds. Yes it plugs stuff and turns to jelly. Yes I think it worked. Yes this was organic. No I won’t do it again if I can find something easier to handle

Conventionally cover crops soil incorporated green is about all I run for carbon because the coop does my applications. That is the primary limit on what I use conventionally. And really it is a unstable argument to say a gallon of something can replace tons of sugar and green plant matter with vitamins and chelated minerals MIXED into the aerobic zone of the soil.

On handling fish. An air compressor valve, convenient tank location, and filters before transport tanks are your friends. Doesn't let the fish stagnate. A rumble of compressed air daily (even know of one place with auto timers to do it like X seconds every hour) is your friend. Then for filters have it on the tank outlet and in between application tank and nozzles. Oh and fyi the price you pay isn't your total cost of fish fertilizer with this time and capital expense.

For you and op, I will share my thoughts on an organic fertility future. Hydrolosytes are anaerobic digestion products. There are some soybean hydrolysates on the market commercially. There are certified organic acids available for stabilizers. There are other avenues for anaerobic digestion products to be made. The process of anaerobic digestion frees the carbon as methane and in process makes nutrients more available including nitrogen as ammonium which some people are stripping off with sulfuric acid to make ammonium sulfate fertilizer liquid. Now multi million dollar digesters aren't feasible and many situations are presently move used for manure smell only than anything in the US, but if we look at utilizing and increasing plant nutrients from expediting nutrients from carbon, we can speed the cycle in a more predictable fashion. This can increase field yields and cover crops to accelerate soil carbon gains. I see anaerobic as a future to better utilize what we have.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)