AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CSP Program opinions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Green Acres Guy
Posted 2/6/2024 21:14 (#10611768 - in reply to #10611375)
Subject: RE: CSP Program opinions?

Latimer, Iowa (north central)
I am just entering into our 3rd CSP contracts on some acres/entities. It has worked well for us. Send me an email and I can get into more detail if interested. It will help cover a portion of things like cover crops. It is not designed to be a "profit" center as someone said, but to help offset the costs of implementation. It will not pay 100% of everything unless you really work to minimize costs. You will have to plant certain cover crops at certain rates at certain seeds per acre, but the minimum requirements are very easy to meet. There are some specific planting deadlines that can be hard to achieve.

It takes a mutual effort from the NRCS and you to be a good program. If either party enters it with a negative attitude, looking for a profit center, closed mind, or thinking they know exactly what is best it likely wont work well.

Your statement quoted below would give me pause on how successful you will find the outcomes. Sometimes the most value to your bottom line will come from something you don't expect. We have found the positives outweigh the negatives.

"I wouldn’t go for them forcing me to use certain cover crop practices that I didn’t believe would benefit my bottom line"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)