AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Business Roundtable: Why big business is good.....Obama!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

striptillr
Posted 2/4/2010 12:12 (#1057423 - in reply to #1057341)
Subject: RE: Excellant example.

Kansas
"if we are going to save this country."

Jon, I understand being frustrated, but when you people fearmonger like this it really does no good. In fact it really does the opposite. It's a negative force. Like Obama said, it prevents opposing views from working together.

You may believe that our country is going to end. In my view, that's scare tactic maneuvering because you're not getting your way. Suppose I could say someone should've stepped in to "save" our country with more financial regulation before the mortgage crisis. Or before we tripped off to Iraq. Our country did not end because of these. There can certainly be infinite degrees of views pertaining to the supposed "end" of our country.

I followed that thread below where you talked about listening to a friend's ultra conservative rants and you commented on that. But then I see you doing similarly, in my view, anyway.

We are in recovery. Some saw it already last summer. You say to end the stimulus. It's generally agreed upon by both liberal and conservative economists that the stimulus is to some degree responsible. To what degree can be argued. If your buddy fell in a hole and you throw him a rope by which he has climbed half or three-quarters the way out, do you declare him out and cut the rope? Is it worth the risk of being wrong? Your buddy might not think so. See, you're standing at the edge of the hole, he's IN the hole trying to get out. Important difference of perspective.

What level of debt can this country not go beyond? Past which this country will "end"? Fearmongering is saying we're there without really having the slightest clue. You say we're recovered, anyway we have too much debt. Your buddy says we're not and we don't, not yet. Who's right? I have debt number for my farm over which I cannot (or should not) go, financial ratios tell me that number. Is there a similar one for our national debt?

Having said all that, I also agree we need to watch spending much more carefully. You seem to blame it on the "dictates", the gov't crowd. We Americans haven't exactly been good with money, either. Wasteful spending always seems to happen in other states. Hopefully this recession turned a few heads, and not just in Washington. If so, I'm hopeful that over time, and by both sides compromising, we'll work ourselves into handling our GDP more responsibly.

Not working together is what will "end" this country. We can work through anything and come out smelling like a rose. History repeatedly shows that. Let's allow history to repeat itself in this instance. The only way we can "save" this country is by working together, not by using scare rhetoric and putting up walls. Looking forward there is noone to blame, only when you look backwards, or try to obstruct.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)