AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

who will own the land
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

barren
Posted 2/4/2010 06:43 (#1056994 - in reply to #1055591)
Subject: RE: who will own the land

Glasgow, Ky

Dairyman78,

Regarding your comment   "The end result would be a cast system where you have the huge land owns with the serfs doing the work like societies of the past."

In all honesty I see things headed that way.   Maybe not so much the serf thing but significant land ownership has become impossible for the average person unless they hit the mother lode in one way or another.  

For example, in the 70's and earlier a person willing to work could purchase a farm, work a public job, farm the land and pay for it.  It was hard but it could be done.  Saw many 100-150 acre farms or bigger done this way in the area I live in.  

Fastforward to today.  Try to work a public job making $15-20 an hour, buy a 150 acre farm for $500,000 or more, buy the equipment, borrow operating money and make your payments.  

What we have seen is a scaling back of amount of land purchased.  Instead of buying 150 acres many now buy 5-10 acres.  The trend will continue.

Look around you and see who is buying the land today.  It is either other farmers who already own land or investors.  The number of landowners is getting smaller.  The amount of land they own is getting bigger.    

I do not see anything in the near future changing this trend.        

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)