AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

small wind turbine,,a few solar panels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 1/6/2024 18:17 (#10560648 - in reply to #10559819)
Subject: RE: small wind turbine,,a few solar panels

Thumb of Michigan
I'm sure that the cost is different everywhere, depending on the provider. But- I have a self-storage facility in the UP that I needed security lighting only. The powerline is on the north side of the road, I'm on the south. It was going to take 10 grand to get wire to a meter across the road. With the key word kind of being meter. The monthly charge for that meter is $35, plus any electricity I use. My expected electricity usage, even if I ultimately get everything built I want to build, is still less than the meter bill. I instead put up panels with batteries for much less than 10K. And no meter or electricity charge. Installed first array in 2018, added to it in 2020, and its still doing everything I need it to do.

I have a grid tied solar array on the farm, and that has a net metering agreement. I don't know how the numbers would look today, but when we installed it, the only way it worked is with cost sharing and tax benefits in conjunction with net metering. I've tried to work a similar agreement with 2 different electric co-ops for self-storage facilities, and its a no go. Last time I checked, the upfront cost was still too steep to make it work.

Obviously, my needs are less in my case than what a house would need. But, it can still be challenging to get a grid tied system up and running, net metering or not. All depends on the provider.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)