AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

small wind turbine,,a few solar panels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

junk fun
Posted 1/4/2024 21:18 (#10557854 - in reply to #10557380)
Subject: RE: small wind turbine,,a few solar panels

Wisconsin
Like everybody said, small wind hasn't been competitive with solar for 20 year or more. Labor has gotten more expensive to maintain the wind, and solar has gotten much cheaper.

You can do it, but there are two things I'd seriously consider. First is compare solar to the equivalent grid service, I've seen so many places where people already have a service but think they're saving money by putting something on solar when they could easily trench wire underground for less. They're comparing tens of thousands of dollars to run a 200 amp service to a bare minimum solar system. If you can put in the meter on your land near the powerline, then run smaller service, it will be much more competitive, more power available, and reliable. I know everything on NAT needs a 200'x120' with 26' ceilings and 400A three phase service, but somehow solar gets a pass.

The other thing to consider is the widow in the woods phenomenon. A couple build an off grid home, an electrical system is installed by the husband, or a solar contractor, or whoever. The system is upgraded over the years, gets a little more complicated, quirky. The husband passes away, or maybe it's the contractor, or whoever, leaving the widow in the woods with a non working solar system that nobody wants to work on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)