AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

small wind turbine,,a few solar panels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Thud
Posted 1/4/2024 18:52 (#10557513 - in reply to #10557380)
Subject: RE: small wind turbine,,a few solar panels

Near-north Ontario, French River
I'm off grid solar, with propane gennie for backup. 4.6kw array and 32KWH of battery storage. In the summer with nice weather, the generator only runs once or twice a month for about 4 hrs each time. The winter time.. like Dec-late Feb the generator run MUCH more often, as in 4 -5 times a week particularly if you get a cloudy or snowy stretch. I have propane stove, dryer, water boiler... everything else is electric. Base load, summer, during the day is only 4-600watts , essentially just a couple ceiling fans, fridge, and various minor draws like clocks. I run a mini split to give me A/C in sleeping areas. Winter time the base load is 7-900watts as my fireplace has a blower fan on it that runs near constant, and I tend to have more lights on during the winter. It was going to cost me a min of $70k CAD to run power from the road, solar was a shade over $80k.. If I had to do it over again, I'd still go the solar route but would have increased both the array and battery bank so the gen wouldnt run as much in the winter . Realistically its still cheaper to run the generator vs adding to the array and battery bank but it still irks me when the generator runs so often in the winter. Electric rates wont ever decrease.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)