AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

utv/atv mounted calf catcher
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Alberta Cowman
Posted 12/26/2023 23:42 (#10543164 - in reply to #10542355)
Subject: RE: utv/atv mounted calf catcher

We built one. I didn’t care for the light bolt together ones for sale. I also didn’t care for them pivoting on the front rack. We built a grill guard and fender protector out of 1.5” pipe and mounted a trailer ball just above the winch for pivoting the catcher from. One can mount or dismount the catcher in maybe 2 minutes.

It’s made from 1.5” and 2” square tubing and fully welded. It makes no noise and the cows don’t even bat an eye at it. I check with a quad or SxS during calving so they’re used to one.

We calve in 20 acre paddocks which are far from level and flat. After tagging we move pairs to different paddocks for pasture groups. The time savings alone doing this makes it worthwhile. One can usually tag and move 8-12 pair per hour. It still makes me smile when a cow is following you at 20+mph. This is the only pic I have of it.

I like the fact that it’s only one step and you’re in the catcher. Another step and you’re back on the quad. I open the gate from the seat and only one step to release the calf. The most steps one makes is closing the gate.

I can’t see how mounting it to the rear of a SxS would be at all convenient. There was another fellow who had one mounted to the front and raised it with the winch. I’ll see if I can find that post.

(99FABC0F-28D7-4DBB-AD4C-43DA43A3B288 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 99FABC0F-28D7-4DBB-AD4C-43DA43A3B288 (full).jpeg (67KB - 44 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)