AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good base for Tandem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 12/26/2023 11:10 (#10542132 - in reply to #10542013)
Subject: RE: Good base for Tandem

Macon, IL
kb ag - 12/26/2023 08:35

I suppose at some point it would help if you say that you have the means to farm like you want to and plan to keep doing that and efficiency and profitability are secondary factors

Thats BS. Seriously-How efficient is it to buy semis (that for my schedule and situation with off farm job) will sit in yard with no drivers? If you are running your farm so tight that the differnet in efficiency between two tandems and semi is going to break you-you may have some bigger concerns to look at.

How smart is it to turn away reliable drivers that show up early, rent me their ground, enjoy farming with me-are capable and turn wrenches for me for free- to hire some part time semi guy who has 20 other options-likely better than what I can offer for the limited time I need him? Don't those factors come into a logical decision-and yes-economic.

You don't know how many acres I farm, what size combine I have, my off farm job schedule, how far I am from bins, how far from elevator, how far spread out, how much storage I have-how much I pay drivers, etc.. to be making statements like that. I have done that analysis-and tandems work best for me. If I was trying to decide between semis and tandems I would have asked that question and give the appropriate info with it.

Nothing new-been told here I am "doing it wrong" a lot of years-its working pretty good so far.

Edited by pbutler 12/26/2023 11:17
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)