AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So dabeegmon, others on minerals
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 12/26/2023 05:36 (#10541759 - in reply to #10541677)
Subject: RE: Thanks guys,....

SE Manitoba
Russ In Idaho - 12/25/2023 22:56

This question has been kicked around my head for a long time. I read here about guys feeding minerals year round. Feed supplements, etc. I realize I run in a totally different world than most. Yes we do make our cows, freight them, or at least a majority of them do. Some never see a bale of hay generally after they turn 2 years of age. Some get supplemental for 5 months, some less.

I just smile at every new feed salesman, pulling up going to sell me the best mineral, lic tub, etc. I tell them I buy less than 1 to 2 ton of minerals a year, same on protein tubs as well. I give them my breed back rates, cull rates and weaning weights on sale day. I ask them what's broke in system? When I can keep right at national avg's or under, how can they fix it for me? Everyone of them I tell them to put their money where their mouth is. I offer for them to buy product, we'll run test. And I'll spilt increase with them. So say I take my non breeders from 4-6% down to 2-3% are they willing to take the bet?

I ask these people what are national avg's I should be comparing my herd to. Not one of them can give me what Gasman did tonight. I again thank Gasman for posting that. It just kind of shoots their sale down, when I ask them what's broke in my system.

Russ - - - -I'm thinking that you are approaching the problem from the wrong end.
Why are you wanting to compare yourself to anyone?
1. you can't (situation)
2. you shouldn't (!!!!!)
your goals are YOUR goals!!
Are you happy with 4 - 6% opens - - - well than - - - enjoy.
(This metric - - - opens and retention were the big things that got me started on my path!)
Just so happens that having a good mineral program really can help increase retention and reduce opens.
Except no generic mineral program is going to do what I want for me!!!!!
It takes a custom program based upon MY feeds (They're at least somewhat different EVERY year.) to push changes.
So a good TM program is not about a new wonder TM mix (no matter what your buddy's cousins son says) its about knowing YOUR feeds (wet chemistry tests for minerals please) and where you're headed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)