AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good base for Tandem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

illinois-kris
Posted 12/25/2023 15:17 (#10541037 - in reply to #10540508)
Subject: RE: Good base for Tandem

IL
My suggestion would be to look for a food service delivery truck from a major city. Many of them still run tandems for city delivery because of space constraints and they're generally automatics. You can pull the reefer bed and sell it to the Amish to recoup some of the money. Call around and ask what they do with retired trucks, usually they're sold on auctions that aren't that well known. Companies to look for are Sysco, us foods, Midwest foods, sofo foods, martin brothers distributing, Eby Brown, kuna foodservice, cash wa distributing, McLane company, uw provisions, martin produce, sgc foodservice, superior foods, Farner-Bocken, badger Murphy, mega distribution, testa produce, Astro-Ven, 86 foods, DeKalb wholesale, atlas wholesale, Midland foods, town and country wholesale....

I have pulled beds off trucks from 4 or 5 I listed that got sent over to Higgs welding to have beds put on. I worked for a company that the owner had an online auction addiction. He bought trucks and we stripped/painted them then sold them to farmers as grain trucks. It's not that much work to pull a reefer box if you can lift it. 2 of us brought in and drove out 3 and on occasion 4 trucks a week; that's full cab detail, pull the box, wire wheel any frame rust, steam the whole truck. Scuff the cab, paint the frame/axles, paint the cab, knock down the wheels/scuff/paint, put on new steers and recap drives, send it for a grain bed. Took $10,000 trucks sold the bed for $3,000, $1000 in labor, $1000 in supplies, $3,000 in tires for a rough total of $12,000 oer truck. Trucks got sold for $20-25,000. We made that guy a lot of money.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)