AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good base for Tandem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jd4930
Posted 12/25/2023 15:14 (#10541032 - in reply to #10540986)
Subject: RE: Good base for Tandem

Central ND
69Cat - 12/25/2023 14:34

Have had a KW W900a for decades with 20 ft box that holds 600 bu. Couple years ago bought a 2007 IH 7400 with 19ft box that has 730bu wheat on at elevator. Remember that side wall height matters when talking what a tandem can haul. Getting +750bu out of a field with a tandem isn't impossible. The KW could use a far bigger box.

Anyway, the IH has an Allison and has been a good decision for me. I used to drive the KW while dad did the combine but with dad retired, I am on the combine and have family driving truck. Wife couldn't get the hang of the KW, too big of a truck to learn in while working 13 spd and clutching plus having to rely on mirrors for backing up. The IH solved all that. She got comfortable driving a big truck, using mirrors, visibility from the IH is much better vs long nose KW. By the time harvest was done the first year with the IH she had the hang of driving the KW. So basically getting the one truck with auto has made it possible for her to use both trucks. I also have non-farming family members help out a few days a year and can throw them in the IH and they get along fine. Brother in law has the hang of driving the KW now also.

Can't comment on the super singles, but a tandem going out into the field and pulling up to the combine to dump then running back to the yard with +700bu is something I would take any day of the week over a single axle semi. That cheap semi better be dirt cheap. I don't have a grain cart, don't need it - that's what the trucks are for.

I do think I may have been better with a KW or Pete or other truck instead of the IH. Have had to do some wiring troubleshooting and smaller repairs and wonder if maybe a newer KW would be built better in regards to components, wiring diagrams, better layout, more room to work. As I say, great visibility on the IH and the Allison auto is great, but working on a 40 year old KW is quite nice in comparison.

We have a couple trucks that getting over 750 is no problem at all
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)