AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Let’s talk removal rates
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NE Soil Builder
Posted 12/3/2023 15:43 (#10508368 - in reply to #10489013)
Subject: RE: Lots of wheel spin on this topic now if you grew forages...

nebraska

Pvafarm - 11/20/2023 06:20 So much "I thinks" going on in this conversation however you have to consider what one is talking about. Nutrient removal of a grain crop is pretty miniscule in the big picture. If you start with decent fertility or deep soils you can literally go years without adding P and K and see no noticeable issues with yield and just run on N and S. This is one reason the soil health guys are so vocal about "golly gee look my soils supply all my P and K and I haven't added anything for 5 years". If you are removing grain you will pay for it sometime down the road. Now up here in the land of glacial till soils that are NOT well supplied with nutrients and a foot of darker soil is great before subsoil of some sort is below we need removal rates applied. If you don't "believe" that run forages for 5 years. Alfalfa or especially corn silage. You're removing roughly 4-5X the K as a grain crop and significantly more P. Do people understand the nutrient buffer capacity of soil, too? I can tell on a 3 year soil sampling schedule who's skipping nutrient apps and who follows my recs (and UW recs). Been looking at this for over 30 years. Want to see what an alternative fertilizer program does that provides half the nutrients at 2.5X the cost? I have that data too. Just "believe" brother. Here"s the top 2' from taking nitrate tests on my best 220-250 bpa corn ground last week.
I would disagree on a lot of what you are posting. Do you take the Haney soil test?Or the PLfa test? Email me a copy if you would. I can explain as to where the nutrients come from,. Why do you hafta apply just N and S only? Do you know where N comes from? I'd be anxious to hear your explanation. I'm not here to argue, so that part is settled. Thx.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)