AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best auger tractor for vertically challenged/old man help?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 10/31/2023 21:05 (#10464555 - in reply to #10464494)
Subject: RE: Best auger tractor for vertically challenged/old man help?

I think he’d be unhappy with the IH tractor compared to what you are currently using on your auger. Our wet corn auger is a 13@ x 81’ . For several years we ran it with a 1206. One of our truck drivers is short, maybe 5’1 or 5’2. I’m 6’ or so. We kept a milk crate beside the tractor so he could step up to start it & reach the throttle. I even used the crate.

Last year I bought a 4320 to put on the auger. After the first day he commented how much easier the 4320 was to start with key start on the lower right side and not having to reach to the other side to push in the starter button &with the throttle being on the side of the s teering column instead of on top like the 12, 10 / 1466s are the same. Only drawback with the JD isthe pto lever on the opposite of the . To overcome that we leave the pto engaged & just shut the engine off. Another advantage to the Deere IMO is that it’s much quieter when running compare to the 12 or the 806 that we occasionally used on the auger

Our wet bin is a 9 ring x 24’ bin sitting on top of a custom made 60* hopper. From the concrete base to the top of roof is 47’ so our auger sits at a pretty steep angle. The 4320 has no trouble handling the corn in wet corn. This year we added a hyd powered Brandt Graindeck to unload our hopper bottom trailers. Wasn’t sure if the JD had enough Hyds to operate the graindeck but does so easily. Running the hyd remote at about 1/2 on the flow will easily keep the auger full. Any faster & the belt will splatter corn where it first drops on the belt.

Need to add - both tractors are on 18.4x38 tires

Edited by boog 10/31/2023 21:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)