AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall tillage (What is completed in your area?) SURVEY
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 1/26/2010 21:45 (#1043169 - in reply to #1041055)
Subject: Re: Fall tillage (What is completed in your area?) SURVEY

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
Northeast Sask. I personally don't know anyone who tills. I have noticed many guys on here arguing that no till won't work cuz its too wet, cool, flat, late, etc, "here". Well everyone said it would not work here, but goll dang it sure does. The thing is, when your soil avoids being smeared, and the natural pores don't get plugged up due to the recreational tillage, the root channels are intact, the earthworm activity, is not screwed with (and there get to be tons of them under no-til), the residue is not disturbed, then the soil after a few short years soaks WAY more water in. And holds it there. Like a sponge. As well, I used to always be one of those we're too wet, we're to cold, and tillage drys out the soil to prepare for planting, kinda guys, but I am a convert. If any of you southern folk complain of cold damp soils and no-til don't work, etc, try farming up here where we are always wet, late, and cold. Go ahead and multiply your impossible no-till conditions by approximately 10, and you'll get close to our conditions. Then subtract 20 or so soil degrees, and 30 air degrees. As well, all the residue left on the surface aids in the support of machinery, and does not become the soupy mess that occurs after tillage exposes the soil, smearing it, and making it into the most unnatural state a soil can be made into. An undisturbed seedbed is the PERFECT seedbed, level, firm, even, and has more equal moisture distribution.

Tillage aint natural. I do think there MAY be some areas where it won't work, but not many.

In support of ED...LOL
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)