AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall tillage (What is completed in your area?) SURVEY
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Lookingglass
Posted 1/26/2010 16:45 (#1042648 - in reply to #1041055)
Subject: Re: Fall tillage (What is completed in your area?) SURVEY

Southwest Illinois
1. 25 miles east/northeast of St. Louis. Any cornstalks we plan to put back in corn in 2010 have been disc ripped(20% of our acres). Not much bean stubble got worked but a bit did. I'd say 5% of it is done which is a very small number for our area. There were really only a couple days fit to work anything all fall. I did see some bean fields that had been sprayed which is almost as good as working it.

2. Last week digging in some tile I thought the subsoil under the frost line was surprisingly dry even though the surface had some water on it. Since then the frost has left and we had 1.25" of rain and now the ground is freezing again and should get pretty hard with this weeks cold snap. IMO this is good weather to help break up surface compaction. Without getting flooded I will take wet weather all the way until the middle or end of March.

3. The last question is tricky. But in normal conditions we are never more than a week to 10 days from the field if you get reasonable drying weather. Obviously well drained fields dry out first. The past 2 years surface and subsurface drainage improvements have nearly poaid for themselves in 2 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)