AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wives, what's your day like?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Farmacist
Posted 1/26/2010 10:25 (#1042198 - in reply to #1041947)
Subject: Re: Wives, what's your day like?

MN
It sounds like most of what I have to say has been said. I am 34 and stay at home. Our business has been in transition the last few years, so my roll has changed. We have 2 young kids at home, soon to be three, ages 6 and under and this leaves me a bit less able to help now. Our local day cares don't accept drop in's, except the ones about 25 miles away. We both feel strongly about not putting our kids in day care either. This leaves me to help where I can, but there are times it's safer right now for me to stay home with our kids. We have also had a bad experience with a sitter that leaves me VERY leery to leave my kids anywhere.
This said, I do run a tractor, semi, backhoe at times. I do feed our few cattle outside some days. I do run for seed, for parts, for tools etc.
I do most the cooking, all the laundry, house cleaning and all other "women's jobs".
I do all of our accounting. Hubby wouldn't know where to start with that. This is OK with both of us.
I market some of our grain.
I do try to have a garden, but I'm not usually too successful at it. I do can what I have available.
I do all of our outside maintenance, like mowing, weeding etc. I enjoy this.
My job includes me being ready at the drop of a hat to leave the house and help. This may mean moral support next to him, or running for parts, or pick me up here and drop me off there or drive the backhoe or come stand in water and fill in trenches.
I do usually have time for things I enjoy, I just need to be prepared to stop them at any given time.
I know that as our kids get older I will be helping more outside.
When I grew up, my dad started farming in '79. He had to have an off farm job. My folks felt very strongly about mom being home with us kids. Dad farmed and worked off farm. That left mom and us kids to do most of the "farming". What we usually did is the livestock side of it. Dad would take time off in spring and fall and use all his vacation time in between for spraying the crops, and anything else that needed done with the crops.

I agree with phranny that a big, maybe the biggest part, is just wanting your husband (both of you) to succeed and being willing to do what that takes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)