AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DID NOT INTEND TO START WWIII
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinoisfan
Posted 1/14/2010 22:35 (#1023109 - in reply to #1022654)
Subject: Why the report is wrong

November 15th: national corn harvest 54% completed

When was the data officially collected? I would guess that they surely started collecting during the last 2 weeks of November. Even if you argue that the crop was 70% complete as an average when the data was collected, a great deal of the remaining 30% was corn that was likely 5-10% lower in test weight. We didn't get hit by the frost that our neighbors just to the north did, but we still saw at least a 5% reduction in test weight. From Route 34 north in Illinois, a great deal of the corn was under 50 pounds. We saw a great deal from 52-53 pounds. Let's use the low end of this test weight reduction and do some math.

13.2 Billion bushels
30% still in the field when the report numbers were "guessed" at = 3.96 billion bushels
5% reduction for test weight = 3.96 x .95 = 3.762 actual bushels
3.96-3.762 = .198 Billion bushels = 200 million bushels

This alone would bring the crop down to 13.0 billion

I think my math is extremely conservative.

From the report:
"Illinois' 2009 corn production was 2.065 billion bushels, with an average yield of 175 bushels per acre." Last year was 179 bu/acre for Illinois. I don't know one farmer in this area who came within 4 bushels of last year's farm average. Keep in mind that Illinois alone accounts for over 2 billion of the national bushels. I have spoken with seed reps from several "large" seed companies, and they said that very few areas in Illinois saw last year's yields.

My point, stated for the last time: The USDA should have kept the numbers alone until they had a BETTER handle on actual yields. Instead they guessed and took over 10% off the corn price.

How about this for another conspiracy: Crop Insurance Guarantee (Set during the month of February)
Lower the price of corn, less the government commitment
This should get all you Pro-USDA guys going.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)