AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lanworth's reporting numbers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 1/14/2010 16:56 (#1022424 - in reply to #1022237)
Subject: Re: Lanworth's reporting numbers

North Central Illinois
I agree to a certain extent. Pounds are pounds. More often that not the heavier the test weight the better the corn. I have seen 55lb corn out yield 57lb corn but not too often. The only thing with the 53lb corn is that you lost some "potential yield" somewhere along the line. If the 53lb corn yielded the same as the 56lb corn it the lighter one would of been better if it had weighed 56lbs or more. You are absolutely right though. Pounds are pounds and you can't take any yield away once its weighed. I always thought thought that the USDA probably when making yield projections during the growing season that the corn would be around 56lb test weight. If it was lighter there was some potential yield lost. In the case of this year if we really did raise a 13.2 billion bushel crop we are lucky that it was light. If test weights had been anywhere near normal we probably would have raised close to 14 billion bushels!! Makes a guy wonder what will happen some year when we plant 85 million acres in a timely manner and everyone has average to above average growing conditions throught the season. That could be really scary!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)