AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Fed made a $52 Billion dollar profit last year.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Brian Smith
Posted 1/14/2010 14:46 (#1022300 - in reply to #1022073)
Subject: I guess I would say a lot better is a relative term

I'm not so sure "a lot better" is true. I think the government (conspiracy theorists rejoice) have been able to get out in front of this and are now in constant damage control. I've yet to see/hear/read anything that says the economy is getting better. Instead we hear "it's not as bad as it was last month." How they don't finish the sentence with, "but it is still going down (unemployment, foreclosures, sales, etc)."

My concern is 1. are they involved in all markets including commodities, 2. At some point they will be the only ones buying 3. How do they later divest themselves from the market (were talking 10s of billions of dollars here not a few million) and then what?

The debt to GDP ratio is growing exponentially and I really don't see how we can sustain this for more than a few years. The prior stock market/economy booms - (techs in 90s and real estate in 2000s) were predicated on huge amounts of debt and not actual produced goods (WY Dave said this repeatedly on here when he was posting, as well). Other than agriculture this country produces mostly paper (as in shuffled not wood products), words, and feel good products. We have nothing substantial to fall back on i.e. creating tangible products (substance) relative to growing the US economy - it's 75% fluff. We have been told for years buy our economist, schools, politicians, business leaders that we shouldn't worry about this because we can provide the service (smarts) and let someone else deal with laborious, back breaking work. The US needs to worry about being the leader in providing the technology/ideas and become the sophisticated country that provides the inspiration to the world (OK a little over the top on that one).

The reality is that the country needs to continue falling backwards because it's real output value is extremely overinflated and based entirely on tomorrows promises.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)