AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A trading lesson for anyone interested. (Learning tool)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Lane2006
Posted 1/14/2010 12:54 (#1022155 - in reply to #1019854)
Subject: RE: djm - my thesis timing was terrible

Here's what happened to me.............

When I finished harvesting corn, it was early-mid September. Even with the late planting season in the north, I was paying attention to forecasts and reports of very good yields and a large crop. Futures kept grinding along at about $3.20 or so, making my unpriced crop cash price about $2.60. I wasn't happy with this but at the time was afraid, with the information at hand, that this thing could end up in LDP price territory. So I sold. Immediately started watching the $1.25 rally!

THEN, I finished milo harvest in December. With my brilliant corn marketing move still in recent memory, I held my milo. I thought if the crop is really that large, something else is feeding the news to keep corn prices that high. Going into the Jan 12 report, I watched prices start to consolidate. I determined the size of the crop was already factored in, and that the report would merely reaffirm what had already been forecast, or make a slight downward adjustment to recognize the crop still in the field (lost yield).

SO, here I am today - sold my corn before the rally and probably my milo after the rally. Thought you'd enjoy this scenario!

On the bright side, I hit the soybean market dead on, catching the high (so far....................)

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)