AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recipes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

phranny
Posted 1/14/2010 12:12 (#1022103 - in reply to #1018918)
Subject: RE: Recipes

MW ON
Welcome to the Kitchen Table

I had to think about your request for a while, as it is quite Broad. I was once a young bride too, and knew diddly-squat about how a kitchen operated. As the youngest of 5 daughters, I was more likely to be in the barn or in the field with my dad. It was all good training for my future hubby. He's had to eat a few questionable dishes in his day, but seldom complains. Today, I read cookbooks for pleasure.

My first suggestion would be when you are out at other peoples homes, and you try something you like, don't be shy to ask for the recipe. Your tastes are different than mine, and recipe fads do change over time. What is my favorite this week, can quickly be replaced with next weeks favorite. It's always changing. However, I do have an old recipe for scalloped potatoes that I like. Here it is:

Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes

1/2 cup miracle whip
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese
4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
2 T parmesan cheese

Combine the miracle whip, flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk. Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until thickened. (You can also do this in the MW, like I said it is an old recipe :) ) Add cheese, stir to melt. Place potatoes in a baking dish, pour sauce over all. Sprinkle with parmeson cheese, bake 350 for 55-60 minutes until potaoes are tender.

I like this recipe because I can pop in a meatloaf at the same time and they are both ready in an hour- ish.

Phranny's Basic Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 package onion soup mix

Mix all together, don't over handle, that's what the experts tell me. You can add chopped celery, peppers, and saute them first in some butter. You can make a ketchup, brown sugar, mustard sauce to spread on top of it before baking too. Bake 350 for 55- 60 minutes. I like to cover it with foil first, then remove foil closer to the end of baking time, old habit I guess.

And my favorite salad this week:

Spinach Salad with Cranberries and Warm Honey Dressing
(I know, it sounds long but it's really good)
1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
8 cups baby spinach
4 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 T honey
3 T cider vinegar
1 cup sour cream

Combine all but last three ingredients. Heat honey in MW, add cider vinegar and sour cream. Pour over salad. this makes alot. I have made the dressing and kept it in the fridge, then just make a smaller amount of the salad and pour on what I need for dressing if it's just me at home.

So, there's meat and potatoes, a salad and then choose a vegetable to go with the meal. As for dessert, I will let someone else suggest a dessert!

Good luck on your upcoming wedding!

Another thing, I am always reading magazines and papers, the internet, for new recipes. You just know when you read one whether you would like it or not. Do the combinations sound like something you enjoy? I love anything with peppers and onions, and I know instantly if something sounds "yummy" or not (to me). Have fun collecting, the possiblities are endless!

Phranny
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)