AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

flow meter calibration
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/18/2023 06:51 (#10191317 - in reply to #10185614)
Subject: RE: flow meter calibration

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Agree. The way I remember this is that the system counts the number of pulses it receives from the flow meter and DIVIDES that number by the meter cal. So if you want the displayed total to be larger you will need a smaller meter cal and vice versa.

So in the previous example the Display showed 900 gallons but you think it was really 1000 gallons. Use a smaller meter cal. One problem is that tanks rarely hold what their markings indicate so don't be fooled by that.

Looking at this another way. If the system is applying more per acre than it should, then decrease the meter cal so that the system divides by a smaller number resulting in a larger result and it won't open the control valve quite so much and will apply a bit less.

Also be aware that NH3 is more difficult to work with than a spray mixture. NH3 needs to be kept in a liquid state for the flow meter to measure it accurately. That is the purpose of the heat exchanger. If some vapor is present the flow meter will not be accurate.

Then there is the 82% factor. The supplier will weigh the tanks and charge you for pounds or tons of NH3. You are interested in the Actual "N" you are applying. Take the tank starting weight, subtract the empty weight, multiply that number by .82, divide that number by the number of acres. That is your rate of Actual "N" for that tank.

Edited by tedbear 4/18/2023 06:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)