AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time to do away with the USDA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 1/12/2010 14:19 (#1019020 - in reply to #1019004)
Subject: RE: Time to do away with the USDA

North Central Illinois
Is that what I said? Really? I had a good crop. No complaints about my personal crop. With all the weather adversity all over the corn belt and the early frost it is extremely unlikely that we end up with a record crop. A lot of areas did have some really sweet crops. The trouble is that a lot of areas that really make or break the national yield year in and year out had an average year at best. Not the makings of a record crop. I have some friends out in north central Iowa that were thinking they had a record breaker on their farm, but it came in about 30 bushel below their all time record. Even areas of Iowa and Minnesota that got planted reasonably early got hurt by lack of heat units and in some cases, frost. Nebraska may well have been the garden spot of the country this year. Those boys deserve a good crop. They can have some really tough going out there at times. They sure farm in a different world than we do. Again, I haven't been an advovate of the "crop is a disaster" theory this year. I just felt and still do feel that there were too many things wrong in too many places to set any national records. I was personaly thinking 12.5 billion bushels from late summer on. The USDA numbers are what they are until they change them. These are the numbers we have to work with so we had better get used to it I guess.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)