AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pro vegetable oil
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/15/2023 10:46 (#10041068 - in reply to #10041024)
Subject: RE: not so pro

Pittsburg, Kansas
My wife has no thyroid either. Takes the daily pill for the hormone.

If a person is diabetic and on medication for it (like I was and was also on insulin therapy) they need to monitor their blood glucose level. If a person is not very adept at doing that, for sure get medical help to help with that change. And there WILL be a change. I had many years of experience of monitoring my blood glucose levels, had been taught by my then doctor to adjust my insulin injections as needed for changes in glucose levels, and was very comfortable monitoring it and changing as needed what I needed to do. Not everybody will have that much experience or fit that description.

The main danger is of the blood glucose going too low if there is a sudden change in the amount of corbohydrates taken out of the diet. One way to mitigate some of that danger is to make changes to the diet slowly while monitoring the blood glucose levels.

For my wife and I we cut the carbs in half the first week (because we just had bought a bunch of conventional groceries and wanted to use them up). This caused the need for me to cut my insulin injections in half (from 90-100 units in 4 shots a day to half that amount). After a week we both felt so much better we gave away/threw away any remaining carb groceries and went to very low carb (no more than 20 total grams carbs a day) . I then no longer needed ANY insulin (though still taking 2 or 3 diabetic medicines) and cut it out completely. Have not had an insulin injection going on 4 years coming up this mid March. I can't remember for sure when I stopped taking my diabetic medicine pills and also my blood pressure pills (2, no longer needed them), but it was in the next two or three months.

So a person for sure needs to recognize and be on top of the potential need for de-prescribing medicines they may be taking when cutting most of the carbs out of the diet. Type II and type I diabetics absolutely, but even others that are on medications like heart medicine (may no longer need them and get dizzy getting up because of low blood pressure caused by the medication).

I was comfortable handling the reductions of medications myself. It is probably not appropriate for everyone. Seek medical advice. If you don't like what the doctor says, find one that is acceptable with low carb eating and they will be able to help.

Edited by John Burns 1/15/2023 10:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)