AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Timing the market
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 1/5/2010 09:05 (#1003929 - in reply to #1003096)
Subject: Re: Timing the market

cropsey, il 61731
I don't think we are in Kansas anymore.... If you got out with some gains, good for you. Back in the 80's and early 90's the retirement investment strategy was to send the money to wallstreet and let it work for 25 years and don't think about it much - low markets mean you bought more stock that month, high markets means your portfolio is gaining value the way it should. As Bob said though with the volatility in even the most previously stable funds/stocks/bonds can be become junk over night - how many madoffs are there? You are probably right to manage your money much tighter and conservatively. Sure you might miss a few run ups, but for now I think the set it and leave it strategy means "and.... it's gone"

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/222624/

Probably once the gov't gets out of trying to run businesses, bad banking stops being rewarded, cap n trade gets cancelled and a real health care bill gets passed it might be time to go back into the market in a dollar cost average way in a group of investments that fit your situation - right now they all look like timbuktu growth funds (wasn't GM a good investment at one time?)

my 2 cents,

Pat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)