AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weight loss/diet help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/8/2023 22:30 (#10029995 - in reply to #10028568)
Subject: amount of fat in diet

Pittsburg, Kansas
It is not for my wife and I with one exception. She has no gall bladder so her bile comes out of the liver at mostly a constant rate. With no "bladder" to concentrate it she no longer has the capability to bolus it out as needed.

The gall bladder would normally give a bolus of bile when sensors in the upper GI signal that a big load of fat is being digested. Bile kind of acts like what dish washing liquid soap would do to a sink full of water and greasy dishes. It acts as a surfactant and breaks the grease molecules down to a smaller size for better digestion. Where she has no bolus capability of bile if she eats a tremendous amount of fat at once it can give her loose stools. But she eats lots of bacon with no problem. But if she takes something like a tablespoon of coconut oil or MCT oil, it will go right through her.

So for most people with normal gall bladder function there is little danger of eating too much fat as long as the fat is part of a normal animal meat cut. Start eating large amounts of fat only without the protein I could see where it could be a problem. Fat has a very high satiety factor and will fill a person up quickly. That said, I have never tried to eat a pound of bacon at once whereas it is not uncommon for me to eat a pound of ribeye or hamburger at once. With bacon it is a lot more likely to be a quarter pound of bacon and four eggs. The egg yolks have a lot of fat also.

I would just avoid extremes and transition into any new eating habit. One doctor I follow says on a carniviorous diet if constipated you need more fat, if loose stools too much fat. I don't know if that is true or not but it kind of makes sense.

Where a person might have a problem is if they were a vegan or on a low fat diet and suddenly convert to 100% carnivore over night. The gall bladder may not have been exercised much for a long time and might take a week of two to get used to doing its job again. I think if I was coming from normally eating very little animal fat to a lot, I probably would transition into it for a week or two. Not just go whole hog into it cold turkey.

Wife and I have noticed if we eat a meal that is too lean, we will still be hungry shortly after. A bag of pork rinds will come out shortly to fill the fat satiation. Protein is for muscle building, fat and carbohydrates are for energy production. If you cut down on the carbs, fat has to make up the difference. That fat can come from food or if a person is over weight, from the stored groceries as fat from the belly and elsewhere. If a person is fat, that is where the fat energy should come from. If already at ideal weight, the fat needs to be eaten. Protein is a very poor source of energy and the body will only use it if it has to or if excess is eaten. But it takes lots of energy to digest protein so it is not the body's preferred energy source.

Edited by John Burns 1/8/2023 22:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)