AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Prefab homes ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

junk fun
Posted 1/2/2023 12:48 (#10017642 - in reply to #10017270)
Subject: RE: Prefab homes ?

Wisconsin
There was more difference in that project than just the prefab components. The framing of a typical house is a small part of the cost, I think I've heard 6%, even if the first contractor got the framing done free, his price couldn't have dropped in half. All the money is in the foundation, utilities, and finished surfaces.

I agree with Nebfarmer that the factory can produce a better product out of the weather, better control over lots of things. Damage is not that big an issue, there's still plenty of moisture in a prefab, kiln dried lumber is still half dry, concrete is full of water. Any cost savings can easily be eaten up by transport, profit, and then the builder is still finishing a bare shell that is a small fraction of the total work involved. Unless they bring the roof prefabbed, they still have to dry it in and don't save that much time vs site built. You get to a modular that comes painted, shingled and sided, then there's the time tying the sides together, instead of having different subs do every job, you still have to get a plumber, electrician, HVAC, and the "carpenters" have to do every other task like siding, soffit, roofing, drywall, painting, trim. Instead of being production work like a new house, everything is turned into remodeling work where it's a bit of this a bit of that to make it all fit together.

Edited by junk fun 1/2/2023 12:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)