AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sprayer Cleanout after Atrazine and Halex GT
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

thowle
Posted 6/12/2022 17:25 (#9702116)
Subject: Sprayer Cleanout after Atrazine and Halex GT

West Kentucky

Just sprayed a mix of Atrazine 4L, Diflexx, Halex GT, Weather Gard, Radiate, Tombstone, and some micros.  Water was the carrier; total volume was around 25 GPA.

Used the standard 16 and 50 mesh screens.  Everything sprayed fine.

Went to cleanup; took the filter housings off, and there was quite a bit of a white film.  The filters were mostly clean, except for some areas -- not horrible.  The film wouldn't spray off with just garden hose pressure; had to get a brush and scrub.

Ended up taking a gallon of Loveland's All Clear in about 75 gal and letting it run through agitation and the tank rinse nozzles; opened up all of the boom ends (poly boom), and ran it through it.  Then did two rinses with just water.  Looked in the tank, and there was still some scale at the bottom in areas.  Ended up doing All Clear again, but at a bit stronger of a dose in less water; didn't seem to make any difference.

I've seen some other posts that are way worse, but this is definitely a task.

I think the only thing I can do is just try a hot pressure washer on those small areas of the tank.

Hopefully the inside of the booms aren't like this.

Think it's not enough to really worry about?  The next thing I'll spray will be burndown for soybeans next year.

If I go with Atrazine and Halex GT again for the next corn year... does the dawn dish soap in the tank mix actually make a difference? 

(20220612_164701 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20220612_164701 (full).jpg (46KB - 103 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
boog
Posted 6/12/2022 18:37 (#9702218 - in reply to #9702116)
Subject: RE: Sprayer Cleanout after Atrazine and Halex GT

Whenever I spray atrazine I add Dawn to the mix This started adding Dawn to the rinse tank as well. We spray our corn with homemade Halex GT _ atrazine 4L, GENERIC callisto Power Max 3, filters were clean as a pin when I cleaned out to go to beans. Little late for that now but I'd try putting ~100 gal of water plus a cup of Dawn in your sprayer tank, run you tank rinse & blow that out your booms & see what things look like

Edited by boog 6/12/2022 20:15
nebfarmer
Posted 6/12/2022 18:41 (#9702224 - in reply to #9702116)

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!
thowle - 6/12/2022 17:25

Just sprayed a mix of Atrazine 4L, Diflexx, Halex GT, Weather Gard, Radiate, Tombstone, and some micros.  Water was the carrier; total volume was around 25 GPA.

Used the standard 16 and 50 mesh screens.  Everything sprayed fine.

Went to cleanup; took the filter housings off, and there was quite a bit of a white film.  The filters were mostly clean, except for some areas -- not horrible.  The film wouldn't spray off with just garden hose pressure; had to get a brush and scrub.

Ended up taking a gallon of Loveland's All Clear in about 75 gal and letting it run through agitation and the tank rinse nozzles; opened up all of the boom ends (poly boom), and ran it through it.  Then did two rinses with just water.  Looked in the tank, and there was still some scale at the bottom in areas.  Ended up doing All Clear again, but at a bit stronger of a dose in less water; didn't seem to make any difference.

I've seen some other posts that are way worse, but this is definitely a task.

I think the only thing I can do is just try a hot pressure washer on those small areas of the tank.

Hopefully the inside of the booms aren't like this.

Think it's not enough to really worry about?  The next thing I'll spray will be burndown for soybeans next year.

If I go with Atrazine and Halex GT again for the next corn year... does the dawn dish soap in the tank mix actually make a difference? 

Run a few ounces of dawn all the time and I'll put half a bottle in the last thousand gallon load to go out makes all the difference in the world
KMG
Posted 6/13/2022 02:53 (#9702757 - in reply to #9702224)

Central MN
Just when you use atrazine or all the time?
nebfarmer
Posted 6/13/2022 13:32 (#9703389 - in reply to #9702757)

SE Nebraska, Near Misery and Cans Ass!

KMG - 6/13/2022 02:53 Just when you use atrazine or all the time?

Atz and calysto.

fieldracer24
Posted 6/13/2022 06:29 (#9702838 - in reply to #9702224)

Do you have to use a defoamer when using Dawn?
WildBuckwheat
Posted 6/13/2022 07:09 (#9702888 - in reply to #9702838)

Middlesex County, Ontario
Up to you whether you want to use defoamer, I don’t.

Dawn with atrazine foams a lot less than cheap glyphosate does.
Kneedeep 2011
Posted 6/13/2022 08:29 (#9702999 - in reply to #9702838)

North Mississippi Delta / Alabama Gulf Coast
Fill from bottom of tank prevents foaming with dawn
Case IH Farmer 12
Posted 6/13/2022 19:13 (#9703772 - in reply to #9702116)

Central IL
Like others have said, the dawn trick works pretty well on atrazine. Screens aren’t perfect, but much better than before using dawn. And stainless tank and boom pipes are spotless.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)