AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15" rows, twins rows - how many planters does it take?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 4/8/2009 13:17 (#673557)
Subject: 15" rows, twins rows - how many planters does it take?

I've been dragging my feet on a complete rebuild of the IH5500 15" planter copy I made. I'll get some parts, but longer term I'm thinking about some planter consolidation. Twin rows look like a good idea and I like beans in 15" rows (for now). After all the work I did on my JD7200 VAC I'm hesitant to trade it off for a 'new experience', so the idea of using the 7200 FF dragging a 7300 VAC VF behind it looks like a good idea for twin row corn. If I have the hitch designed right, it should work good for 15" beans as well. Filling more boxes with beans would be a little more trouble, but I have an old yetter seed jet that seems to work good enough. My issues would be that the drag along 7300 would have to be brought up to the same level as the 7200 (about $5000 plus parts to adapt the 20/20 monitor), it ends up being a looooong planter and would the JD bean disks work ok or are they like the old spill it out bean cups?

Anyone have another JD planter configuration that ends up being shorter than a FF pulling a VF? I've thought of a kinze twin and just planting beans in twins, but that's a big change for both crops. However, kinze interplant planters are worth plenty regardless of the condition - I can find a nearly new CNH 1200 12/23 or JD 1790 (and certainly 1780) for the price of 2600 model kinzes (anyone else noticed this?). I realize the cnh and jd planters won't do twins, but still....

Thanks,

Pat

Edited by Pat H 4/8/2009 13:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)