AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sure glad I only purchase alfalfa seed!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 10/25/2008 17:10 (#490797)
Subject: Sure glad I only purchase alfalfa seed!

Little River, TX
Though I do plan to purchase some range grass seed when the opportunity is there.

Possibly I am fortunate but for the last 25 or more years I have been able to pick the variety of alfalfa I felt currently filled my need.

I have found the major alfalfa seed companies to be uniformly agreeable to work with. Here, I have found the local seed sales force, at their best, only interested in selling what is in their warehouse not what the customer believes is best.
At their worst they are totally ignorant.
Example: cattleman closer to the coast was interested in planting alfalfa. Planted a number of acres of the recommended variety. Problem was the local seed vender recommended CUF 101. Shame was the cattleman was a stock producer first and a forage producer a more distant second. He had no idea he was being sold an antique variety. CUF 101 was developed 40 50 years ago for the Southern California Climate and is still a standard new varieties are judged against. Result his stand did not survive the onslaught of pest and diseases found close to the Texas Gulf Coast. Bless His Heart, he is back planting haygrazer.

To be fair there is currently very little alfalfa planted in Central Texas. When considerably more hay ground planted to alfalfa, the Public Varieties were the variety of choice by 99.999% of the alfalfa growers. That was 50 years ago! Possibly if the local seed sales force knew something about alfalfa it would again be a popular hay crop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)