AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1020 flex head problem diagnosis, required!?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 6/27/2008 12:40 (#405552)
Subject: 1020 flex head problem diagnosis, required!?

South Central Kansas, Harper County
I have a 2188 with a 30' 1020 flex head, it has been cutting wheat rather well for a week, but 2 days ago problems occurred. My operator called and said he had broke the sickle, so no problem I drove the 50 miles to Wichita and picked up the front piece with splice kit, come home, fixed the break, and away we went.

Yesterday(thursday) operator called(always about 5:30, said he broke the sickle again, and this time when he shook the arm on the wobble box, it was loose, so he thought the wobble box bearing had went out. I called Wichita, didnt have the parts, so went to Hutchinson instead.. While enroute, operator called and said under further inspection, the bolt holding the arm that attaches to the wobble box and sickle head, was loose, only finger tight. So, with that in mind, I picked up another front section of sickle and some lock tight, and went home and fixed the problem.

ON to today, at about 6:00, he called , same problem, sickle broke, and bolt was loose.
After numerous calls to several dealerships, talking to different service managers, I finally came up with one that gave me some ideas. First he asked how the guards were, and I admitted some of them were worn, so he said in the thick wheat I was cutting that would cause the sickle to break. He said if the arm that attaches the wobble box to the sickle head had any wear in it, it would cause the bolt to loosen up. He also told me to inspect the brace underneath the wobble box. Brace looked good, so I went back to Wichita this evening, bought enough guards to outfit the 30' sickle, bought a new arm, seal, and rubber/foam type washer. Put them all on tonight, but too late to try it out. Also put some RED locktight on the bolt.

Now, Am I on the right track, and/or does anybody have any suggestions? Yield monitor says I am cutting 60-65 bushel wheat, so would really like to get it to the elevator, but am getting tired of throwing parts at this platform, without uncovering the problem!

Thanks for any TIPS and ADVICE!

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)