AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Far-Fetched Idea: Semi Hi-Clearence Sprayer made from Combine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MEJ
Posted 6/13/2008 14:33 (#396721)
Subject: Far-Fetched Idea: Semi Hi-Clearence Sprayer made from Combine

Manitoba
I know I've seen a few of these in Farm Show over the years but I dont think I saw any that were raised up a bit to gain some clearence. Our tallest crops to spray fungicide or pre-harvest Rndup on are wheat, oats, and canola. And even then as long as the bottom of the machine is smooth it works alright. What I was thinking of is using a CaseIH (its the combine I have so its easier to look at it to imagine the possibilities)(But I wouldnt use mine, I still need it). You could flip the drive axle around to reverse its direction and maybe even put it under the frame to gain about another 17". The cab and engine would switch places, all the combining parts would come off and a tank mounted in the middle. Maybe you could gain a little more height with tires. Now the old back axle, which is now the front, you could just make a big enough drop in it to match the back. Now my other little brain wave was to do 4wd. You can get away with only 2wd on our land because there's always a bottom so you only sink so far, but 4wd is a big plus. I've never even looked at the rear wheel assists on combines. Are the motors right there at axle level? I would guess there is a planetary system involved. Do you have a completely different axle (right across) on a rear wheel assist axle? Could a mechanical genius design and build a higher clearence axle out one of those? Are there other brands of combines thqt would be more suited to this? Are the frames on combines designed to rely on all the structure above them for some of their strength? I was thinking of a 1000 US gal tank which would only be about 3/4s the weight of a full hopper. This may never happen, but its fun to imagine.
Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)