AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn planting date in southern Tn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tnfarmer
Posted 3/23/2008 22:08 (#340411)
Subject: corn planting date in southern Tn?

tennessee
Hey guys I guess I'm really getting the itch to start planting corn. If the weather is right some guys just south of me would be half done by now. Normally I wait till about the 5th of April to start but I have about 5 days of no rain and I'm having fertilize put on tomorrow. I know last year the "early guys" around here got to re-plant a bunch of corn due to a freeze. What's your opinion on planting now? Is it a little to risky and should I wait? I really can't afford to re-plant a bunch of corn but I'm really wanting to get it in the ground--what's a fella to do?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
7110mag
Posted 3/23/2008 22:26 (#340437 - in reply to #340411)
Subject: Re: corn planting date in southern Tn?

Owens Cross Roads, AL
If it's dry, go for it. I am a little south of you and I will start as soon as it dries out. Nothing is worse than planting in the mud and getting more rain right after planting.
dd89
Posted 3/23/2008 23:35 (#340520 - in reply to #340411)

I'm across the river in semo boothill we are looking at starting tomorrow on some high sand, we did just recieve 5 inches or more of rain but the ground i am referring to is beach sand, just want to get a few kinks worked out, we traded both corn planters for new ones last fall and wanting to set them and callibrate liquid systems while we are not in a panic. good luck
iseedit
Posted 3/24/2008 08:09 (#340626 - in reply to #340411)
Subject: RE: corn planting date in southern Tn?

central - east central Minnesota -

My opinion and "forcast" is worth what you pay (nothing) - the way winter is hanging on here (MN) I feel we are going to be sending lots of cold weather down south late into the season. The weather we have recieved this past year is more like seasons from years ago. Years ago, (70's - when I was able to help - I was young) couldn't get into the fields till mid-May for corn and had snows in late April and early May. Small grains were considered early when planted by mid April. Durning the later "80's on up the planting window kept being pushed earlier - this year may push it back, Frost is still 32 inches deep here and solid as is the deep ice on the lakes here. Again in my opinion. My opinion is subject to change at anytime the weather feels warm and the frost finely comes out of the ground . . .  . lol  I'd cautiously wait . . .

Red/Green
Posted 3/24/2008 09:17 (#340678 - in reply to #340626)

Elizabethtown,KY
I normally start around Apr 10th here, last year I planted 60 acres on Apr 3rd, then we had the 4 freezes on Easter week-end, I got lucky, mine came up 2 1/2 weeks later. A BTO in my county planted some over a week before I did, he had to re-plant some, I didn't plant again til Apr 18th last year. To answer your question, if it was dry enough and I was in your location I'd plant some, maybe not a whole lot. We have been wetter here this winter than I can ever remember, 2.4" of rain put the creeks and rivers out into all the bottoms last Wed., the weather guessers are calling for chances of rain from Wed-Fri, so I don't know when we can even spread fert or start spraying burn-down. My target date to start planting is just either side of Apr 10th, but soil moisture and temps will be the determining factor.
ChrisTN
Posted 3/24/2008 21:32 (#341069 - in reply to #340678)

Ethridge, TN
We had some pretty heavy frost here in Savannah this morning. Ground is still several days off from being ready to do much, and today, I see they are raising the river, which is not a real good sign. Backwater is still contained in the streams/creeks, but it isn't moving the proper direction. Really hoping TVA doesn't screw around on us, as the wheat crop is really looking decent, but is also really needing the N application, so we need it to stay dry. Might be able to start running some N on select fields tomorrow afternoon. Don't think we have any ground that we consider ready to plant corn on till close to the end of next week.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)