AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bale spear vs conventional bucket/grappel?......
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 1/2/2011 17:34 (#1522011)
Subject: bale spear vs conventional bucket/grappel?......

After reading the posts on bale spears for loaders I am still puzzled why there are so many bale spears still in use. Surely all newer tractors and loaders these days have a third circuit to run a grappel cylinder?

Before round bales became popular here everyone stacked hay loose in one form or another. Everyone had a grapple in the first place so bale spears just never caught on here. I still don't know anyone in this area who uses one. Doesn't a bale spear get in the way of using the loader bucket for other chores like moving snow?

FWIW, I have mostly retired my old Farmhand F10 especially from handling round bales. My 5x5 bales weigh about 1300 lbs and are just too heavy for it and the tractor. The bales that must be stacked for transport my neighbor still does with his F11 with 5' manure fork/grappel on a Super M. That's the bare minimum equipment to use on the level on a nice dry day.

As far as feeding bales, I have a double bale carrier for my big tractor and a smaller bale carrier for my smaller tractor. I also have a shop built bale unroller to feed with that works best with new crop bales that roll easily. Currently I am using the big tractor with the double bale carrier to feed this winter. I'm feeding old crop bales and just use the tractor dozer to roll out the bales.

I am impressed with Cliff's spear that he can remove it or use it for snow as is. Should get a patent on that!

Edited by John SD 1/2/2011 17:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)