AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how to use a small pasture as part of a summer backgrounding program.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ks-notill
Posted 6/1/2023 13:18 (#10252435)
Subject: how to use a small pasture as part of a summer backgrounding program.

We have a pasture the we usually doublestock 20 head of steers on from may 1st till August 1st but our buyer has not got the last 20 head of grazers to fill it yet. Partly our fault as we should've ordered them sooner than April.

The pasture is about 50 acres and joins our feedlot on the home place, so thinking about buying 120 head instead and either supplement the grazing every day with grain and silage or let them graze a week or so them pen them up and feed them a few weeks till the grass grows back then graze a week again ect....

If I try to feed every day I'm not sure they would walk to the pen to eat or just rely on the grass if it is plentiful, and if i rotate between grazing for a certain number of days then feeding for a certain time period would that be a problem for their rumen?

It never fails, get a bunker full of silage and I want to buy more cattle!

We will be buying a bigger group of calves to graze cover crops starting in September, if it rains, maybe I could let the pasture set empty and use it to start some calves in August for the fall grazing program.
Any thoughts appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)