AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

options for compacting clay/gravel
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

john holland
Posted 5/26/2023 13:09 (#10244516)
Subject: options for compacting clay/gravel

SE MN
I am expecting to need to remove some soil and build back with clay or gravel to build some grain bins on. I am looking at options for compacting it. The max depth is probably 3 feet and the area is less than an acre but may be done in smaller parts over years. I am inclined to buy something so that we can work on it whenever rather than renting. Some options that I have come across are: Motorized sheepsfoot roller. This seems like overkill for the size of the job. Sheepsfoot roller that tows behind a tractor. This seems like a better idea but may not be maneuverable enough for small areas. Walk behind jumping jack or vibrating plate. I am leaning toward the vibrating plate. It will probably take a lot of time and effort, but I am willing to do that to avoid spending lots more money on a bigger piece of equipment. Another option I have seen is a vibrating smooth roller for a skidloader. This would probably be the easiest option, but I am concerned that it might not pack hard enough. I would like to do this once and never have an issue for the rest of my life, not looking to take a shortcut. The biggest bins are likely to be 50k for now, I am also planning to have a soils company do a few borings.

Anyone have experience with a smooth roller on a skidloader? Seems like it wouldn't have enough weight to really pack yellow clay or something like class 5.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)