AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computer Anti-virus programs.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Aussy Harold
Posted 3/4/2023 21:48 (#10123888)
Subject: Computer Anti-virus programs.

North East Wimmera district of Victoria.

Maybe should post this in Computers, but I get the feeling that Ag Talk Cafe attracts many more readers - thus those willing to answer!

I've been through a few Anti-virus programs over the years.

The one before Bull Guard, I have forgotten, but friends told me it was crap, and about then a virus got through its 'defense' and caused all sorts of issues. Result was it was scrapped, and Bull Guard installed.

Bull Guard was happily working away in the background, and once in a while a message would pop up - such and such virus detected, deleted, no further concern, nor action needed.

That, I figured, was what it was meant to do.

Then I saw that Norton had bought out/taken over Bull Guard.   Norton I had previously put aside for some reason or other, but thought "Oh Well, we'll see how this goes!"

Over the next week or so I got a few messages from Norton, have not recorded them, but my thought was I did not need assistance where they were sticking their nose in.

Word around the computer knowledable guys at "Men's Shed" [maybe 20% of attendees!] was to stop the annoying intrusion of Norton by purchasing and installing Kaspersky Anti virus etc.

As we seem to be ever more reliant on computers, I figured money spent on a recommended anti virus program would be money well spent. So I signed in, paid for the 'top quality protection', and ran installation.

First thing Kaspersky wanted was other 'conflicting' anti virus programs removed. From within the installation that bogged the process down completely, I think it just stopped dead.

Remedy was to exit installation of Kaspersky, and delete the Norton, and also McAffee anti virus programs on my computer.  [I'd forgotten McAffee!]

Then Kaspersky condescended to be installed!

One feature I see is a password 'vault' with an easily remembered password to access it!  How many different passwords do you have? Mine are into double figures!

But then Kaspersky informs me that a string of Microsoft files are "not designed for Windows", or "have an error in the file" - remedy, re-install the likes of "Office 16" and Windows\system32\d3d11.dll  and DPAPI.DLL as well as a couple of others.   At a loss to figure how this can be!

Also Kaspersky informs me that my NBN access router "has a weak password"!  !!! It is a wireless radio router, with a password that is a ten digit mixture of letters and numbers.  Two things from that - 1. I have no idea how or where to change that access password, and 2. in my small country town there are several 'public access' WiFi's that would pop up if an interloper did a search - so why would they try to access my server?

I've probably bored you all stiff!

Any comments re the Kaspersky protection programs?   Good,  bad,  or set up hints.   TIA from down under.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)