AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Confusion with USB Stick Formats
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/31/2022 16:49 (#10014257)
Subject: Confusion with USB Stick Formats

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I recently received some USB Sticks from a Chinese Source. They are 500 mg in size. They were formatted when I received them. They were apparently formatted as exFAT. Since one was Red, one was Green and One was Blue I changed their names from the generic name of USB to Red, Green and Blue. That went as expected. I did this with on my Win 10 desktop computer.

Next I copied some of my MP3 music to the Red stick. That seemed to go as expected. I tested by clicking on a few music files and the songs played. I then attempted to copy a large "batch" of music files from the computers hard drive to the Red Stick. I walking away as this was going to take a while. When I returned an error message had appeared and the copying had stopped. I tried the same thing with the Green stick and got the same results.

I took the sticks to a business where I used to work. The files did not work properly on their Win 10 machines. The OS reported that their were problems with the sticks. My friend reformatted them and was able to get some music on each of them. None of them could be played on my Silverado truck and the truck system stated that the media was not compatible.

When I got home I tried the sticks in my recently acquired Chrome Book. They all 3 worked with it. I took them to a different Win 10 computer in my basement and all three worked there. I tried the upstairs office computer and it refused to work with them. This leads me to believe there is some problem with the upstairs computer.

I notice that sticks that seem to work with it are the smaller capacity ones that use the FAT format. When I try to reformat these sticks my only choices seem to be exFAT, FAT32 or NTFS.

Any ideas of what's going on? I did have failure on the office computer with a few older USB sticks that were used in the past without problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)