AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auctions and Jockeys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bhrfarms
Posted 6/23/2022 16:50 (#9718051)
Subject: Auctions and Jockeys

Northeast Indiana
I had a Speicher 600 I put in a consignment auction recently. The thing has been sitting in the barn for 6 years and I just don't have the time or the help to do tiling since my dad passed away. I didn't know really what it was worth and wanted to get sold and out of here to make room for other equipment. Its been heavily modified to a diesel engine and hydrostatic ground drive. When I went to pull it out of the barn it started up fine, but wouldn't move. I got it pulled out and pulled it around some and finally it would move on its own around the barn yard. I called the guy in charge of the auction and told him its been sitting 6 years but we got it moving around and to go ahead and list it in the online auction. His comment was "we just won't tell anyone about that". I moved it to where I could get it washed down and then it set for a few days. The next week I went to move it around some and after a little bit it would stall out in forward but would move in reverse. I think it may just be the forward bypass valve, but I'm not sure. I tried to get someone to come out and put gauges on it before it sold but never did have any luck finding anyone that followed through on coming out. I don't have the high pressure gauges to put on it. The weekend before the auction I got several calls about it and made sure to tell everyone that hydrostat was acting up. A couple guys over an hour away even came out to look at it. I probably should have pulled it from the auction, but thought surely no one would bid on a 1960s heavily modified from stock piece of equipment without calling to get some information on it. Well just my luck, the day of the auction the local jockey thinks he can make a buck on it and bids online and gets it bought with the high bid. I've bought a grain trailer from this guy before, and of course the grain trailer title wasn't current and he never got it titled in his name in order to save the title and sales tax fee. This guy knows me, my information is listed in the auction listing but he never made the effort to call and ask any questions about this modified trencher. As soon as he finds out about the hydrostat he calls the guy in charge of the auction, his buddy, and complains and so I then get a call that they're now scratching the auction and its no sale. Now I probably wouldn't be too happy either if I bought something at auction and afterwards come to find out it has issues. But I'm also not dumb enough to not call to find out information on what I'm bidding on either. Especially something that's been heavily modified from stock form and the listing reflects that. The other bidders took the effort to get all of the information on the item and I was completely transparent about the hydrostat when they did call. I don't care so much about the price the machine sold for ($16k) I'm more pissed that now I have to go through the trouble of selling it again. He says he bids on 700 items a week and doesn't have time to call to get information on the things he bids on. I think that's just lazy and I feel sorry for his customers because obviously he doesn't know anything about a lot of the stuff he's buying and reselling.

Edited by Bhrfarms 6/23/2022 17:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)