AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Had a new adventure in beef growing last night (polio?)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

timjohn
Posted 6/14/2022 16:50 (#9705232)
Subject: Had a new adventure in beef growing last night (polio?)

SE Wisconsin
So when i was going to feed my steers last night, I noticed one of them was laying down in the barn as I walked past. I fed grain to all the steers and the one still never came out of the barn. I walked over to look at him and he just sat there kinda bobbing his head up and down. He then tried to get up and could not... I was thinking, oh great, broken leg or something... He is a 1100 lb angus steer. But he then got up on all 4 and stood up... so not a leg problem... he wobbled for a bit then completely crashed onto his side and rolled onto his back... I thought he just died in front of me. then he rolled back over onto his feet and tried again to stand. But he kinda went spread eagle and just sat there... about 5 minutes later he stood again on all 4 legs until he fell over onto his side again... WTH?

Vet came over and checked over vitals. heart rate ok, but a little elevated. temp normal, manure ok, I saw him urinate, vet said rumen sounds good. eyes ok. ears not sagging.

She is thinking Polio. so we shotgun him with IV, steroids, banamine, anti biotic, thiamine, etc.... About 20 minutes later he stands up on his own and with wobbly legs wanders around his pen. I gave his fresh water and grassy hay. he stood for a long time and ate some hay and drank some water. This morning he was up and walking around a little. still not quite right but obviously better than before.

what the heck happened? Strangest thing I have ever seen with a steer. let alone an 1100 lb one...

note... they are on a cracked corn, mineral, pellet diet. no forage. they have access to some grass and dry hay free choice...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)