AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

3rd year corn way better than 2nd year-how?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 10/17/2008 23:38 (#484989)
Subject: 3rd year corn way better than 2nd year-how?

Macon, IL
I finally got into my CCCCC experiment ground. I planted about 10 acres of Diener 4686 on either side of it and the 25 acre test area is also 4686. This is 3rd year no-till corn. I fulley expected it to drop 10-20 bushel per acre compared to the rest of the farm. 4686 has been running about 180 on either side in 2nd year corn. 1st round the yield monitor jumped 60 bushel to 240-was spiking to 250-255. I honestly thought the monitor was broken but checked it with 2 full truckloads.

This is on a farm that has never averaged close to 200 on any significant amount of acres. The 25 acres ended up AVERAGING 222!!!!! 42 bushel better than the 2nd year corn, I don't have any 1st year to compare to this year.

That plot and either side of it has same hybrid, planted same day, sprayed same day, everything. Now it yields 42 better and is a full point wetter.

Anyone got any ideas because I only have 2 possibilities:

1) The 3rd year ground has been fertilized every year, while the 2nd year only has two-but I always just do removal rates.
2) I used AMS as N on all acres-maybe I got a "thicker" blend on that area? But would it really make that much difference? If so that is why I hate using AMS on test plots, you never really know what you get.

THere has to be something else but I don't know what it could be.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)