AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air dry corn - how wet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 10/9/2008 20:30 (#478821)
Subject: Air dry corn - how wet?

I know this has been asked several times in the past, even have answered a few times myself. I thought I had a fairly good idea how wet I could put corn in an air only bin but after talking to our elevator manager I am having 2nd doubts.

Here's the scenario. Bin is 42' x 7 ring (4" corrugation) & holds about 34,000 bu peaked. Bin has 2 15hp centrifigal fans & 19 roof vents plus the manhole & cenetr fill hole. Corn here is running wetter than normal. Shelled some today that was 107 day corn planted 4/18 or so, tesing 20-21%. Daytime temps are mid to upper 60s & nightime in the low 50s

I was fairly confident I could put 10-15,000 bu in the bin & be able to dry it down. I have put 18-19% corn in it in the past with no problems & usually will have it down to 16% within a couple weeks.

Elevator manager says I am pushing the limits at 20%. What are your opinions? Dryer bin is full & will be a couple days before it's dry enough to transfer. Shelled some 110 day corn earlier today that was planted late April & it tested 25.5% :~(. Talked to several you picked last week & say it hasn't tried 1/2% in a week

TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)