AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hardcore soil testing-answer for Mustard
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Art Swannack
Posted 10/4/2008 21:36 (#474976)
Subject: hardcore soil testing-answer for Mustard

I just looked back and saw you asked why we go so deep. Mainly it is for moisture and N information. We test for Sulfur to 3 ft. and P for only 1 ft. Annual rainfall is "normally" 15-16 inches-most in winter and spring here, so the winter crops search for water. This was taken in 06, when we had all of our "normal" rainfall. Last year was more like 10inches.

Here is an example of a 6ft test I had done in 06. I did notice our local fertilizer dealer is now doing 4ft tests. Don't know if that is just as accurate, or he is trying to sell more N. I know he uses a 4ft plastic sleeve that the soil is captured in and then the lab slices up the sleeve to test at intervals. The ram is hydraulic powered (kind of like a log splitter with a pivot so it can go vertical) and usually mounted in the bed of the pickup.

1st foot: 3.3in water, 8.2#NO3, 3.75 NH4 2.34% org. matter, 8ppm S, P test invalid, 651ppm K
2nd foot: 4.3in water, 12.8#NO3, 3ppm S
3rd foot: 4.4in water, 24.3#NO3, 2ppm S
4th foot: 2.7in water, 18.1#NO3
5th foot: 2.7 in water, 7.0#NO3
6th foot: 2.3in water, 9.6# NO3

The P test was invalid because they used the wrong test for the soil pH involved. Anyway, hope that answers your questions.

Art
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)