AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ok educate a rookie/dummy on wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mad Max Perf
Posted 7/16/2008 01:13 (#416154)
Subject: Ok educate a rookie/dummy on wheat

North Western Alberta
Ok guys, this is my first time growing wheat. I have what I think looks like a great crop, considering that we have had 2/10s" of rain since seeding. I think I might be seeing the benefits of minimum till, direct seeding. Anyways, the heads are fully out, and its about crotch/waist high on my son and I ( hes 6'3" and Im 6'2") so... heres the question. The head has the little pollen wormy looking things on it, ( Im guessing the flowers) but the heads seem completely empty of any of the starchy stuff that makes the kernel. Does this part fill in later, as the crop matures? Its really a deep rich green, and I pu 85 lbs of N down this year, with full rates of P, K and S. I mean, everything is there, just the moisture has been lacking. But, Its the best looking wheat crop around, that I have seen in my area. Im just a bit worried about the empty kernel thingys. Never grown wheat before. Oh.. two nights ago, we got 1/2" of rain, for the first time, and while it didnt get down very far, the canola is REALLY responding to it. Will that wheat start to fill the kernel things? Sorry for the rookie question. --Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)