AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fence Charger
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 7/3/2008 17:44 (#409222)
Subject: Fence Charger

Oklahoma
Looking at buying a fence charger (possibly solar) for some temporary fencing for some heifers splitting off some yearling pecan trees that they seem to like to eat. Total field size will be less than 40 acres and just looking at 2 to 3 strands of wire for the 1/4 mile stretch. This field doesn't have any electricity nearby so that is the reasoning for thinking solar. Once I am done with it there this fall, I plan to use it for rotational grazing some sheep in a 5 acre lot at the house where I do have access to electricity. This little lot will probably be divided into 4-5 paddocks (depending on terrain and what different winter forages I can get to grow).

My dad swore by Gallgher chargers and used them some when I was growing up for sheep and cattle both. We gradually got all our fencing updated and quit using electic fence 20 years ago so this is kind of exploring new territory. If I remember right sheep are harder to grab their attention due to the wool but I am not an electric fence person. Any suggestions on a size and brand to look at? What about this poly tape stuff, is it worth anything? ANy reccomendations are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)