AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Update thread with pictures of my no-till wheat experience.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 6/8/2008 22:31 (#393332)
Subject: Update thread with pictures of my no-till wheat experience.

Hi. If anyone is interested, here's a few updated pics and hopefull comments on my first no-till experience with wheat. This is one of the earlier threads. Earlier thread. I'll stick with this one field for this thread so as not to confuse myself. This the "100 acre" field. I'll probably divide the thread into part 1 and 2 so I can give my fingers a break from the keyboard for a minute.

This is the day after planting. Here's is the divider line shown in the top pic in the link. After the rain while planting, it got pretty wet.:-(

Again, from the same spot, showing a corner. This corner was the wettest one as it was the one chosen for loading the drill etc.

Too dang wet, but..............stay tuned.

You can see how easy it would have ben to close the trench. I just did'nt have the equipment at the time. I'm working on that now. I have spent way too much money the last month buying parts to put together a no-till drill,....or a couple of them maybe.;-)

When scouting in the wet time of year, I allways pack my trusty rusty shovel. Here I found a grub.

When pulling a random shovel, I found this. This is not what I wanted to see, and the next 2 pics will show more of why.

You can see it is attached to a wheat seed.

And not only that, but there is a couple metarex pellets right by the darn thing. The other wheat seed is also damaged from the slug taking a huge bite out of it. This is only 24 to 30 hours after planting. The slug will just stay in the thrench eating the wheat, and not come up for the bait on the top of the soil. Heck, it wont even eat the bait in the trench. So I called the field man and planned a course of action. We decided to use a liquid fertilizer 0-0-14, and a quart of slugfest. It must've worked cause the next day I found a few slugs slimed out. And we now have a crop, though not a very healthy one.

Now we move on to the 27th of april. The wheat is just starting to emerge. This first pic is of the side that was planted with the GP no-till drill.

Another view further into the field as I walk across.

Ok, here's that wet corner. Amazed at how well the wheat looks given the situation.

Really amazed actually.

Looking eastward from the wet corner. This is the side of the field I planted with the JD 8200 after running the coulter tool first.

And looking westward again toward the wet corner. This is a wet section leading into the wet corner. Again, amazed how well it came up and rally, the coulter tool and roller in front of the drill made a much nicer and easier bed for planting.

Part 2 coming up in a minute.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Old Pokey 6/8/2008 22:39

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)