AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Air ride, Hendrickson, or spring suspension for twin screw rearend?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cyfarm
Posted 8/8/2006 21:12 (#33908)
Subject: Air ride, Hendrickson, or spring suspension for twin screw rearend?

Denison, Iowa
I have a truck builder contracted to change a 20 ft steel stakeless grain box and hoist from a 1979 IH 1954 twin screw with a Hendrickson rearend to a newer 1996 8100 with a M11 Cummins. I have a chioce of three types of twin screws and am not sure which to go with. Since the 8100 will be a much heavier chasis, empty weight will also be a concern. My 1979 currently weighs about 18,000 lbs. empty right now. It has a DT466 with a 5x4 tranny and hydraulic brakes so the "new" 8100 with a 9sp and the M11 will be quite an improvement. I am leaning towards going with the air ride suspension but don't know how that will compare to the walking beam I am currently used to. This truck will be our 2nd truck match to a 1981 S1900 twin screw with a Hendrickson and a 10 speed RR. Our operation has no possibility of semis because of the many bin sites we will be dumping in from the field. I hope the 8100 with a big motor will help with delivery of beans out of the bin site to AGP, which is approx a 80 mile round trip haul. We also plan to add a 3rd axle at some point in the future as we tend to "overload" quite often. Thanks for your help and opinions.

Mike in WC Iowa
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)