AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost PTO Type Drive Shaft on 930F - Replacement?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/6/2007 06:47 (#170942)
Subject: Lost PTO Type Drive Shaft on 930F - Replacement?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I took my JD 930F head to the local dealer for repair and straightening during May. I pulled it to the dealer on my head trailer behind my truck. When I returned to pick it up, I noticed that the right drive (PTO style for my 9650 STS) was missing and the stub was tied up with twine.

It turns out that the right drive had vibrated off of the parking knob on my trip to the dealer. Apparently this is fairly common as the dealer had warned me off this in the past. They have lost some themselves. I had forgotten this and didn't take the time to secure them better with wire, twine or a tie band. I took the same roads back home and watched for the shaft, but no luck. I suspect it is lying in the bottom of a road or drainage ditch along my route.

I posted a few signs at Ag businesses in the area hoping that someone will find my missing shaft. The shoulders of the road were mowed recently but I was not able to find the shaft (it's quite a distance to check).

Assuming that the shaft does not reappear, what are my choices? Obviously I could buy new from Deere but it appears that I need to buy indivdual pieces through Parts to get what I need. I was hoping that the shaft, cross, coupler and shield could be purchased complete but it did not appear that way.

While at the dealer I noticed a catalog from the Lankota (sp?) folks. This company makes various adapters to mate new heads with older combines, old heads with new combines, wiring harnesses etc. It appeared that one of their conversions PTO shafts (complete) should work. This is really more than I need but their price for the complete shaft assembly is less than the pieces from Deere.

What about a salvage yard? Since this has probably happened to others, the parts that I need are probably in demand so this may not be a good option.

Any other ideas?

Edited by tedbear 7/6/2007 06:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)